Everyone is talking about it. Tony Robbins does it. Shakti Gawain has written about it. And scientists have conducted visualization research with astounding results. So what the hell is it, and do all the big names talk about it so much?
Firstly we need to understand what it is. Visualization is the process of using your imagination. Your imagination is unbelievably powerful however unfortunately, we stop using when we grow up.
Your imagination can:
- take you to any country of the world, and it won’t cost you a cent.
- provide you with the most perfect passionate love affair and you will never get hurt and;
- it can fill your bank account with an unlimited amount of money and you don’t have to work a single day.
What’s more, your imagination can give you the most amazing, healthy, functional body and you don’t have to spend a second in the gym. In fact, you don’t even have to move.
I spend quite a bit of time during my seminars talking about visualization because I have had many people say to me, “I don’t know how to visualize.”
As a result, I have put together a simple 5 step process to help you understand the basics.
How to visualize:
- Step 1: Look at something you can see right now with your eyes open.
- Step 2: Close your eyes and see the same image.
- Step 3: Repeat this process until you can see that image with your eyes closed in perfect detail. Do it at least 25 times.
- Step 4: Try the same thing with something you cannot see with your eyes open such as your bedroom.
- Step 5: Now look further and think about every detail of your bedroom. See the colours, the textures, smell the smell of your room, feel the floor underneath your bare feet. You are now moving from just using your imagination, to visualizing with feeling. This is important because when you master this process, you harness the power to create awesome change within your body and within your life.
The Secret to Making Visualization Work for You!
Like any ‘secret’, it’s always something obvious.
The secret to making visualization work in your life is practice, practice, practice!
Like anything, if you want to get good at it. You must do it over and over again.
Visualizing an outcome you would like to achieve in your life once is the same as taking only one antibiotic tablet to cure tonsillitis when you need to take a whole course for it to be effective.
Think for Fitness programs are based on the incredible power of visualization so practicing this skill will be integral to your health success.
Now, go forth and visualize your butts off people!
See you in your thoughts!